Behind craveable brands’ digital transformation – adnews database naming standards

Speaking to AdNews, Russell explains how Craveable Brands – the parent company behind food giants Red Rooster, Oporto and WA’s Chicken Treat – is on the cusp of launching a data management platform (DMP), as well as revamping its apps and upping its focus on loyalty.

It’s already using Salesforce’s marketing cloud offering to aid digital marketing automation and analytics, with Russell quick to stress how vital it is to have a data strategy, to understand where your data is being housed and how accessible it is.

“You’ve got to have a team of analysts, whether it’s an agency that does your analytics or whether you bring it in-house – either way, if you don’t have anyone analysing your data to understand exactly what you should be doing with it from a segmentation and driven standpoint, you’ll never get anywhere,” Russell says.


The business, which was formerly called Quick Service Restaurant Holdings before being renamed last year, currently works with media agency Mindshare, creative agency Host/Havas and Sydney-based creative consultancy and full-service digital agency Present Company; which is behind its upcoming app redesigns.

Portuguese-style chicken brand Oporto is the “young, engaged and dynamic brand” with more than 150 restaurants. With national coverage of more than 360 restaurants, roast chicken franchise Red Rooster is the “familiar and nostalgic” brand and Chicken Treat, the smallest of the three entities, has a network of more than 60 stores across Western Australia and Queensland only.

“We’ve got fantastic insights around our known customers who have identified themselves through our loyalty programs; we’ve got behavioural data around how they’re behaving online, through our e-commerce channel, through our loyalty applications, how they purchase, what they love, whether they’re weekend shoppers or morning Monday shoppers,” he says.

“However, we’ve got all of this information around these consumers but that’s only accounting for 15% of our consumer base. The other 85% we have got no idea. So, the DMP is giving us the ability to start to better understand those guys to then target them more effectively through the digital universe.”

While working “hand-in-hand” with the heads of marketing on its media mix, he says Oporto will do more within the digital space in the next year as it has a much younger demographic. Whereas, Red Rooster’s current core audience is a lot older and more regional so TV is a big focus.

“With Red therefore, your splits within TV are obviously higher. Now, as we start to contemporise and make that brand more youthful, the place that you want to talk to those guys is within digital and that’s why we’re launching the DMP,” he says.

Many argue that the people-change effort and CEO/shareholder buy-in to onboard these players’ technology, coupled with intense logistical efforts and cost, sees the firms like Salesforce, latch onto to a lucrative slice of these brands for years and years to come.

“It was a good eight years ago now and back then it was still quite sophisticated for email marketing. I remember presenting it to the franchisees within the Pizza Hut chain and they were saying it was some of the most sophisticated digital marketing they’d seen compared to where we are now.”

Despite being a fan of the marketing cloud tech at Yum, he still oversaw an official RFP for the tech while at Maccas – with Microsoft Dynamics, Oracle, SAP and Adobe being in the mix, but added “it was evident that marketing cloud was still on top”.

Once on-boarded at Maccas, within a year the fast-food joint went from zero members in the My Maccas database to more than 2.1 million. Coupled with 1.2 million transactions a day, he said when running a good promotion, it was “very easy” to start building a database.

“It started off with physical cards which we quickly had to change that as it was very expensive. One of the biggest issues they had was they were handing these cards out willy-nilly, meaning we hand it to you and we don’t know who you are. It’s just a card out there in the universe floating around, doing nothing.”

This is all triggered in real-time immediately, so, by the time the customer sits down they have a link there to then complete the process. Between Red Rooster and Oporto, it has half a million members, but temporarily stopped pushing the program from an acquisition standpoint as it realised the apps weren’t sophisticated enough.

Craveable made headlines earlier this month, following a submission to a Senate inquiry into the operation and effectiveness of the Franchising Code of Conduct. Concerns were raised about the business model and how the customer loyalty scheme was “a direct hit to franchisee without any contribution from franchisor”.

banner